Concrete barriers could save your building site from a variety of hazards whilst also priotitising the safety of your site and its workers. Although the purpose of a concrete barrier may seem simple, its benefits are wide reaching.
In this blog, we will be answering the question, ‘How effective are concrete barriers?’
As an established and trusted concrete provider, PPC Concrete Products aim to provide solutions for people in the construction industry. Alongside interlocking concrete blocks, we also provide Jersey Barriers.
For any building project, knowing the options you can select when it comes to barriers and other concrete solutions can be extremely helpful when it comes to protecting access to your project, building it, and possibly saving you money.
PPC Concrete Products is here to provide the answers you may be looking for whilst giving you an insight into the quality concrete options we supply.
The demand for construction is only increasing, on a private and industrial level. Whichever side you fall into, a Jersey Barrier Block may be an option to keep your site secure. Let us tell you more about them.
Why do we need concrete barriers?
Concrete barriers primarily have the purpose to protect the area it is surrounding, the structure itself can prevent vehicle entry and exit, whilst also protecting the site if there are any accidents nearby. As the resilient nature of the concrete will mean it will sustain limited damage under high impact.
Concrete barrier benefits
Although the purpose of a concrete barrier is quite simple, its level of application is wide. Here are the benefits of a concrete barrier:
- For traffic control.
- For perimeter protection.
- For temporary construction works.
- To protect workers from hazards such as heavy machinery.
- For preventing flood damage.
- To ensure the safety of motorways and dual carriageways.
- For edge protection.
- To provide security at high-risk security situations (e.g. in response to a bomb threat or a terrorist attack).
- For crowd control (e.g. security barriers at music festivals.)
- For security barriers at open rail lines.
- To help provide security at temporary public functions (e.g. street parties, Christmas markets).
- To support a large, temporary structure, such as scaffolding, a stage, or a marquee tent.
- For preventing access for trespassers, intruders, thieves and squatters onto land/a building.
- To ensure the safety of pedestrians and road users during construction work.
- To keep pedestrians at a safe distance from landslides, deep water or debris.
- To keep passers-by away from dangerous land or a dangerous building.
- To contain large vehicles (e.g. HGV vehicles, caravans or buses).
- To block unwanted vehicles (e.g. blocking vehicles from getting into a secure location, such as an airport).
- For docking next to waterways.
- For creating parking bays.
- For helping to restrict views (e.g. if a view is distracting for drivers).
- For earth retention.
- For securing a vacant area.
- For preventing fly-tipping.
- To be used as a base for public seating, public artwork or a public garden feature.
- For use in a public playground or skate park.
How effective are concrete barriers?
The effectiveness of concrete barriers is only further highlighted by the list previously provided. Our concrete barriers are extremely effective. This is further supplemented by the thickness of our concrete barriers, whether you choose to have one made from our Jersey barriers, or Interlocking concrete blocks.
Can concrete barriers be thin?
Yes, it is entirely possible to have a concrete barrier that is thin, however, this lack of thickness means that the concrete barrier is not as structurally resilient as its thicker counterparts, this mean it has a higher likelihood of breaking. Ideally, concrete barriers should have a level of thickness that ensures its durability.
What types of concrete barriers are there?
We at PPC Concrete Products supply Jersey barriers and Interlocking concrete blocks, both of which can be used in order to create a concrete barrier. Below we will list the features of both of these concrete products we supply.
Interlocking concrete blocks
Interlocking Concrete Blocks are a unique form of pre-cast concrete blocks that are designed to hold together by using pre-measured studs and recesses. These concrete blocks are built with unique profiles and features, which allow them to fit perfectly into each other.
What are the advantages of interlocking concrete blocks?
- Longer lasting and more durable than a Gabion basket
- Quicker and less hassle to install
- No need for mortar, saving you money and time
- No need for steel reinforcement or shuttering
- Resistant to extreme weather conditions
- Fire-resistant properties, mitigating the spread of fire depending on structure
- Little maintenance required
- Often, no foundation is needed before installing
- Sound resistant
- Ability to stack them upon each other
- Flexibility in sizes
- Appropriate for temporary and/or permanent buildings
- Unlikely to be displaced due to the interlocking function
- Can be moved with standard lifting equipment
Jersey barrier blocks
A Jersey Barrier (also known as a barrier block) is a concrete block in the shape of a rectangle with its bottom end becoming much wider in order to aid its stability. One of the Jersey Barriers’ purposes is to create a barrier, the concrete ensures it can not be easily moved or knocked over.
Our heavy-duty Jersey Barriers blocks easily lock in to place next to one another making the creation of barriers simple. Whether it’s a barrier for a construction site or edge protection, Jersey barrier blocks are the solution.
Jersey barrier block benefits
– Jersey Barrier Blocks are cost-effective – The cost of manufacturing Jersey Barriers is very cost-effective and due to their interlocking system, our barriers can be easily picked up and used elsewhere saving money through repurposing.
– Jersey Barrier Blocks provide security – Our Jersey Barriers are heavy-duty interlocking blocks that provide the ultimate anti-vehicle perimeter protection. They can also be used for site security, edge protection and temporary works.
– They are easy to install – Due to the simple interlocking system, our Jersey Barriers easily lock in to place next to one another making the creation of barriers a breeze.
– They are longer-lasting and more durable – All our concrete Jersey Barriers are made on-site using our own moulds. The concrete material we make them from is naturally durable & can last for a very long time. But they are not indestructible.
What is the cost of a concrete barrier?
For those looking to purchase a concrete barrier for their site, the cost of the barrier will depending on a few factors including:
- The perimeter it will be barricading
- If you choose to use Interlocking concrete blocks or Jersey barriers
- The amount of blocks/barriers you require
We encourage you to get in contact with us directly if you are considering using our products for your site. If you can outline the details of your project, we will be able to provide you with a quote as well as any guidance you may require if you need it.
Buy concrete barriers today
In this article, we hope to have answered the question ‘How effective are concrete barriers?’ Whilst also providing extra information in regard to construction and the benefits of Jersey Barriers.
Take a read of our case studies to truly understand how we have provided solutions for business in the past with the use of our interlocking concrete blocks, and ultimately, how we can help you today.
Read our blog page for more insights into our passion, construction.
The Old Gasworks,
Monday to Friday – 8 AM til 4 PM
Tel: 01706 655245